Search This Blog

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Bathsheba's beauty was NOT the problem

In the fight of faith against lust I can be tempted to think and act as though my lust is due to the fact that women are too attractive. They are pretty. However, this train of thought leads me away from honest assessment of my own heart and confession of my own sin. It reminds me of Adam’s ‘dodge’ of responsibility, when after his sin in the garden he said to GOD, “… the woman YOU gave… me, she gave me fruit of the tree…”.

In the account of David and Bathsheba, the narrative says “Bathsheba was "very beautiful" (2 Samuel 11:2). There is no sin in women being beautiful or even in men noticing their beauty (cf. Genesis 29:17). The sin of lust is not merely an issue of perceiving beauty. Biblically speaking, beauty is a good thing.
Now I don’t deny that women, out of their own sinful desires, can act-out their own lustful desires in word and deed. But as a man and a father and a pastor I am charged to pursue righteousness and lead my sons and church to do the same. Dumping my responsibility as a man for my own lust on women will deeply undercut my calling and my growth in grace.

My lust is an issue of MY heart. Jesus says, “…out of the heart come evil thoughts… [and] adultery…” (Matthew 15:19). My sinful heart is the source and cause of my lust.
Once I come to the place of responsibility for my sins, Lord willing, I am ready to confess and seek the Lord’s forgiveness: “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).

When the Prophet Nathan confronted David for his murderous adulterous scheme David took responsibility for his sin and said “I have sinned against the LORD” (2 Samuel 12:13). Likewise, may I not dodge responsibility, but confess my heart’s sin to the LORD, and seek his forgiveness.

And may I seek the Lord’s heart changing grace. In the gospel, God promises to give us a new heart, with new impulses, desires and power:

“… I will give you a new heart…. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes…” (Ezekiel 36:26-27).

Who will set me free from this my sinful heart? Thanks be to GOD through Jesus Christ our Lord!